The world celebrated nurses in a week-long celebration that started May 6th. Celebrated since 1965, National Nurses Week begins each year on May 6th and ends on May 12th, Florence Nightingale’s birthday. It is a celebration to raise awareness of the important role nurses play in our society. This year’s theme, according to the American Nurses Association (ANA), is “Nurses: Leading the Way”, emphasizing nurses’ roles in improving the quality of health care; participating as key members of collaborative, performance-based health care teams; and continually advocating to ensure patients remain the focal point of health care.
We have rounded up how hospitals and organizations in the United States celebrated National Nurses Week. Read on below:
- Released in 2012, we still wanted to include this video made by the New York Presbyterian Hospital as a tribute to their amazing team of over 4,900 dedicated professional nurses and their entire nursing support staff for their continued commitment and dedication to their patients and families, ensuring they always received the highest quality of safe and compassionate care.
- Similarly, Texas Children’s Hospital released a video celebrating their entire nursing staff, thanking them for everything they do. They also have listed their favorite nursing blogs in an article on their web site. Check it out.
- Kaiser Permanente’s Chairman and CEO, Bernard J. Tyson, in an open letter addressed how nurses are going to play a crucial role in the transforming face of healthcare today. While the American health care industry undergoes rapid transformation, nurses are at the center of it all, serving as advocates for the patients and their main point of contact for healthcare delivery and information. Kaiser Permanente is one the largest employers of nurses, with nearly 50,000 nurses delivering high-quality care through all stages of a patient’s life.
- Kaiser Permanente also featured the best nurses in the profession in their web site. They even put up a special Nurses Week web site, featuring stories of the winners of the 2013 Kaiser Permanente Extraordinary Nurse Award.
- Elsevier Connect put up a tribute video for nurses with the theme, “Nurses: A Force of Change – a Vital Resource for Health”. They also kicked off its annual Superheroes of Nursing campaign and opened up its top-cite nursing articles for online viewing. You can find links to these articles on the Nursing Plus website.
- The School of Nursing at Loyola University New Orleans celebrated Nurses Week by waiving the $40 application fee for candidates applying to the online Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program.
- The Department of Veteran Affairs paid tribute to the 90,000 nurses manning the VA health care facilities throughout the country calling them the “compassionate backbone of VA’s world-class health care system.”
Nurses, more than doctors, are who patients see and interact regularly. They are really the axis of the healthcare system between health care delivery and patients.
How about you? How did you celebrate Nurses Week?
No matter how cliché the statement, “Health is wealth” can be, it is definitely something that each individual should take into account. Need not worry though, because we can provide your medical institution all the assistance you’ll need through our exceptional patient services such as billing, coding, and even back office responsibilities. Learn more!